Taking ashes on a Wizz Air flight
We contacted Wizz Air to gain a clear understanding of their guidelines for transporting ashes on their flights. We aim to provide you with the necessary information to feel comfortable when planning your journey.
Can you take ashes on a plane with Wizz Air?
Yes, you can travel with ashes on a Wizz Air flight. Being familiar with their regulations is crucial to minimising stress or anxiety during your journey.
- Wizz Air only permits ashes to be carried in your carry-on luggage. This is a safer option than placing them in checked baggage, as it ensures they won’t be damaged or misplaced.
- Ashes must be transported in a suitable sealed container. This should be non-metallic and made from materials that will allow it to pass an X-ray security screening.
- Wizz Air allows ashes to be transported in an urn made of the correct materials.
- You must be travelling with a copy of the death and cremation certificate.
If you fail to adhere to the guidelines, your loved one’s ashes may be denied entry through security and not permitted on the flight. Security may reject them if the container cannot be scanned by X-ray. Security personnel are not allowed to open the container under any circumstances, even if you request it.
Wizz Air flight urn restrictions
Wizz Air allows the transportation of ashes in an urn. However, the urn must meet specific requirements.
- The urn must be made from security-friendly materials – e.g. glass, ceramic, plastic, wood or marble.
- It must be non-metallic, preferably on the thinner side, so the X-ray can penetrate.
- The urn must be sealed tightly by the urn’s own device (screw-top lid, for example) or glued with a strong adhesive.
- The urn must fit within your carry-on luggage.
- The urn must fit within Wizz Air baggage weight restrictions -10kg max.
- The urn must fit Wizz Air baggage size restrictions.
You may find it easiest to travel with a plastic screw-top container or scatter tube rather than a heavy urn.
Wizz Air flight baggage allowance
All Wizz Air customers are allowed one 10kg piece of hand luggage measuring 40cm x 30cm x 20cm. If you’re willing to pay you can add an extra bag to your to allowance measuring 55cm x 40cm x 23cm as part of Wizz priority.
Wizz Air may place your carry-on baggage in the hold at their discretion. To avoid any damage in transit, we recommended choosing a sturdy urn made of a material that won’t break easily. Additionally, we suggest you package the outside of the urn to create an extra level of security.
Where can I fly to with ashes?
Wizz Air allows the transportation of human and animal ashes to any destination they fly to, as long as you have the death certificate and certificate of cremation on hand.
Each country has its own laws and regulations regarding the transportation of ashes. Therefore it is essential to thoroughly research the requirements of your destination country before travelling.
We highly recommend you contact your destination country’s embassy to understand what paperwork they require to allow you to transport ashes. This will help ensure a smooth and stress-free journey.