Taking Ashes on a Loganair Plane
We’ve put together this informative piece to explain first-hand Loganair’s rules and regulations regarding travelling with ashes.
Can you take ashes on a plane with Loganair?
Loganair allows you to transport both human and pet ashes. It is essential to be aware of the specific procedures for their transportation so that your journey is stress-free and as uncomplicated as possible.
- Ashes can be taken onboard as part of your carry-on or hold baggage. We recommend taking them in your carry-on, giving you peace of mind as they won’t be misplaced or damaged.
- You must have a copy of the death certificate and cremation certificate to hand.
- You must transport ashes in a ‘security friendly’ container – preferably non-metallic and thin enough to be scanned by X-ray at security.
- Ashes can be transported in an urn, but the urn must be made of materials that will allow it to pass through security. You must carry this urn within your cabin baggage.
- Loganair requires you to notify their agents that you’re travelling with ashes when checking in.
The container in which the ashes are carried must be able to pass through X-ray screening at security. If security cannot scan the container, it will be denied. Security personnel are not allowed to open the container, even if requested.
Failure to adhere to these rules may result in the ashes being denied through security and not accepted onboard.
Loganair flight urn restrictions
Loganair allows ashes to be transported in an urn but you must ensure the following:
- The urn must be made from materials that pass through a security X-ray – plastic, ceramic, marble, wood, or glass.
- The urns lid must be secured either by a strong adhesive or with its own mechanism (e.g., screw top.)
- The urn must fit within your cabin baggage.
- The urn must fit within Loganair’s baggage weight restrictions – 6kg max hand luggage, 15kg or 30kg max hold luggage, depending on your ticket type.
- The urn must fit within Loganair’s size requirements.
Loganair flight baggage allowance
Loganair allows all customers to bring one piece of cabin baggage measuring 40cm x 35cm x 18cm with a maximum weight of 6kg.
Passengers on the Fly and Fly Flex fare can check in up to 20kg of baggage in one or multiple bags. Fly Flex+ fare customers can check in up to 25kg in a single bag and 30kg in multiple bags.
Where can I fly to with ashes?
Loganair permits the transportation of ashes to any destination they fly to, as long as the proper documentation and an appropriate container are used.
However, it is important to keep in mind that different countries have different rules and regulations regarding the transportation of ashes. To avoid any issues, we advise you to research your destination country’s specific policy before travelling.
We recommend you contact your destination country’s embassy to ensure you have all the necessary documents. This will help to alleviate any concerns when travelling to a new country and ensure that your loved one’s ashes can be laid to rest in their chosen destination.